What is STDEVA function in Excel?
STDEVA function is one of Statistical functions in Microsoft Excel that estimates standard deviation based on a sample. The standard deviation is a measure of how widely values are dispersed from the average value (the mean).
Syntax of STDEVA function
STDEVA(value1, [value2], …)
The STDEVA function syntax has the following arguments:
- Value1, value2, … Value1 is required, subsequent values are optional. 1 to 255 values corresponding to a sample of a population. You can also use a single array or a reference to an array instead of arguments separated by commas.
Explanation of STDEVA function
- STDEVA assumes that its arguments are a sample of the population. If your data represents the entire population, you must compute the standard deviation using STDEVPA.
- The standard deviation is calculated using the “n-1” method.
- Arguments can be the following: numbers; names, arrays, or references that contain numbers; text representations of numbers; or logical values, such as TRUE and FALSE, in a reference.
- Arguments that contain TRUE evaluate as 1; arguments that contain text or FALSE evaluate as 0 (zero).
- If an argument is an array or reference, only values in that array or reference are used. Empty cells and text values in the array or reference are ignored.
- Arguments that are error values or text that cannot be translated into numbers cause errors.
- If you do not want to include logical values and text representations of numbers in a reference as part of the calculation, use the STDEV function.
- STDEVA uses the following formula:where x is the sample mean AVERAGE(value1,value2,…) and n is the sample size.
Example of STDEVA function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=STDEVA(A3:A12)||Standard deviation of breaking strength for all the tools (27.46391572)||27.46391572|