What is FREQUENCY function in Excel?
Syntax of FREQUENCY function
The FREQUENCY function syntax has the following arguments:
- Data_array Required. An array of or reference to a set of values for which you want to count frequencies. If data_array contains no values, FREQUENCY returns an array of zeros.
- Bins_array Required. An array of or reference to intervals into which you want to group the values in data_array. If bins_array contains no values, FREQUENCY returns the number of elements in data_array.
FREQUENCY formula explanation
- FREQUENCY is entered as an array formula after you select a range of adjacent cells into which you want the returned distribution to appear.
- The number of elements in the returned array is one more than the number of elements in bins_array. The extra element in the returned array returns the count of any values above the highest interval. For example, when counting three ranges of values (intervals) that are entered into three cells, be sure to enter FREQUENCY into four cells for the results. The extra cell returns the number of values in data_array that are greater than the third interval value.
- FREQUENCY ignores blank cells and text.
- Formulas that return arrays must be entered as array formulas.
Example of FREQUENCY function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=FREQUENCY(A2:A10, B2:B4)||Number of scores less than or equal to 70||1|
|Number of scores in the bin 71-79||2|
|Number of scores in the bin 80-89||4|
|Number of scores greater than or equal to 90||2|
|Note: The formula in cell C12 is an array formula. For this formula to return values in cells C12,C13,C14 and C15, you must open this workbook in the Excel desktop program (not the web browser). In Excel, select C12,C13,C14 and C15, press F2, and then press CTRL+Shift+Enter. Otherwise, only a value in cell C12 will be returned.|