What is FLOOR function in Excel?
FLOOR function is one of the Math and Trig functions in Microsoft Excel that rounds number down, toward zero, to the nearest multiple of significance.
Syntax of FLOOR function
The FLOOR function syntax has the following arguments:
- Number: The numeric value you want to round.
- Significance: The multiple to which you want to round.
FLOOR formula explanation
- If either argument is nonnumeric, FLOOR returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If number is positive and significance is negative, FLOOR returns the #NUM! error value.
- If the sign of number is positive, a value is rounded down and adjusted toward zero. If the sign of number is negative, a value is rounded down and adjusted away from zero. If number is an exact multiple of significance, no rounding occurs.
Example of FLOOR function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=FLOOR(3.7,2)||Rounds 3.7 down to nearest multiple of 2.||2|
|=FLOOR(-2.5,-2)||Rounds -2.5 down to nearest multiple of -2.||-2|
|=FLOOR(2.5,-2)||Returns an error value, because 2.5 and -2 have different signs.||#NUM!|
|=FLOOR(1.58,0.1)||Rounds 1.58 down to the nearest multiple of 0.1.||1.5|
|=FLOOR(0.234,0.01)||Rounds 0.234 down to the nearest multiple of 0.01.||0.23|