What is FLOOR.PRECISE function in Excel?
FLOOR.PRECISE function is one of the Math and Trig functions in Microsoft Excel that returns a number that is rounded down to the nearest integer or to the nearest multiple of significance. Regardless of the sign of the number, the number is rounded down. However, if the number or the significance is zero, zero is returned.
Syntax of FLOOR.PRECISE function
The FLOOR.PRECISE function syntax has the following arguments:
- Number: The value to be rounded.
- Significance (Optional): The multiple to which number is to be rounded.If significance is omitted, its default value is 1.
FLOOR.PRECISE formula explanation
- The absolute value of the multiple is used, so that the FLOOR.PRECISE function returns the mathematical floor irrespective of the signs of number and significance.
Example of FLOOR.PRECISE function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=FLOOR.PRECISE(-3.2,-1)||Rounds -3.2 down to the nearest multiple of -1||-4|
|=FLOOR.PRECISE(3.2, 1)||Rounds 3.2 down to the nearest multiple of 1||3|
|=FLOOR.PRECISE(-3.2, 1)||Rounds -3.2 down to the nearest multiple of 1||-4|
|=FLOOR.PRECISE(3.2,-1)||rounds 3.2 down to the nearest multiple of -1||3|
|=FLOOR.PRECISE(3.2)||Rounds 3.2 down to nearest multiple of 1||3|