What is T function in Excel?
T function is one of TEXT functions in Microsoft Office Excel that returns the text referred to by value.
Syntax of T function
The T function syntax has the following arguments:
- Value: The value you want to test.
T formula explanation
- If value is or refers to text, T returns value. If value does not refer to text, T returns “” (empty text).
- You do not generally need to use the T function in a formula because Microsoft Excel automatically converts values as necessary. This function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet programs.
Example of T function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=T(A2)||Because the first value is text, the text is returned (Rainfall)||Rainfall|
|=T(A3)||Because the second value is a number, empty text is returned ()|
|=T(A4)||Because the third value is a logical value, empty text is returned ()|