What is FLOOR.MATH function in Excel?
FLOOR.MATH function is one of the Math and Trig functions in Microsoft Excel that round a number down to the nearest integer or to the nearest multiple of significance.
Syntax of FLOOR.MATH function
FLOOR.MATH(number, significance, mode)
The FLOOR.MATH function syntax has the following arguments.
- Number: The number to be rounded down.
- Significance(Optional): The multiple to which you want to round.
- Mode (Optional): The direction (toward or away from 0) to round negative numbers.
FLOOR.MATH formula explanation
- By default, positive numbers with decimal portions are rounded down to the nearest integer. For example, 6.3 is rounded down to 6, using the default Significance (1).
- By default, negative numbers with decimal portions are rounded away from 0 to the nearest integer. For example, -6.7 is rounded to -7.
- By using 0 or a negative number as the Mode argument, you can change the direction of the rounding for negative numbers. For example, rounding -6.3 with a Significance of 1 and a Mode of -1 rounds toward 0, to -6.
- The Significance argument rounds the number down to the nearest integer that is a multiple of the significance specified. The exception is where the number to be rounded is an integer. For example, for a Significance of 3, the number is rounded down to the next integer that is a multiple of 3.
- If Number divided by a Significance of 2 or greater results in a remainder, the result is rounded down.
Example of FLOOR.MATH function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=FLOOR.MATH(24.3,5)||Rounds 24.3 down to the nearest integer that is a multiple of 5 (20).||20|
|=FLOOR.MATH(6.7)||Rounds 6.7 down to the nearest integer (6).||6|
|=FLOOR.MATH(-8.1,2)||Rounds -8.1 down (away from 0) to the nearest integer that is a multiple of 2 (-10).||-10|
|=FLOOR.MATH(-5.5,2,-1)||Rounds -5.5 toward 0 to the nearest integer that is a multiple of 2, using a non-zero Mode, which reverses rounding direction (-4).||-4|