What is EVEN function in Excel?
EVEN function is one of the Math and Trig functions in Microsoft Excel that returns number rounded up to the nearest even integer. You can use this function for processing items that come in twos. For example, a packing crate accepts rows of one or two items. The crate is full when the number of items, rounded up to the nearest two, matches the crate’s capacity.
Syntax of EVEN function
The EVEN function syntax has the following arguments:
- Number: The value to round.
EVEN formula explanation
- If number is nonnumeric, EVEN returns the #VALUE! error value.
- Regardless of the sign of number, a value is rounded up when adjusted away from zero. If number is an even integer, no rounding occurs.
Example of EVEN function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=EVEN(1.5)||Rounds 1.5 to the nearest even integer||2|
|=EVEN(3)||Rounds 3 to the nearest even integer||4|
|=EVEN(2)||Rounds 2 to the nearest even integer||2|
|=EVEN(-1)||Rounds -1 to the nearest even integer||-2|