What is TIMEVALUE function in Excel?
TIMEVALUE function is one of Date and Time functions in Microsoft Excel that returns the decimal number of the time represented by a text string. The decimal number is a value ranging from 0 (zero) to 0.99988426, representing the times from 0:00:00 (12:00:00 AM) to 23:59:59 (11:59:59 P.M.).
Syntax of TIMEVALUE function
The TIMEVALUE function syntax has the following arguments:
- Time_text Required. A text string that represents a time in any one of the Microsoft Excel time formats; for example, “6:45 PM” and “18:45” text strings within quotation marks that represent time.
TIMEVALUE formula explanation
- Date information in time_text is ignored.
- Time values are a portion of a date value and represented by a decimal number (for example, 12:00 PM is represented as 0.5 because it is half of a day).
Example of TIMEVALUE function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=TIMEVALUE(“2:24 AM”)||Decimal part of a day, with only the time specified.||0.10|
|=TIMEVALUE(“22-Aug-2011 6:35 AM”)||Decimal part of a day, with date and time specified.||0.2743|