What is STDEV.S function in Excel?
STDEV.S function is one of Statistical functions in Microsoft Excel that estimates standard deviation based on a sample (ignores logical values and text in the sample).The standard deviation is a measure of how widely values are dispersed from the average value (the mean).
Syntax of STDEV.S function
The STDEV.S function syntax has the following arguments:
- Number1: The first number argument corresponding to a sample of a population. You can also use a single array or a reference to an array instead of arguments separated by commas.
- Number2, …(Optional): Number arguments 2 to 254 corresponding to a sample of a population. You can also use a single array or a reference to an array instead of arguments separated by commas.
Explanation of STDEV.S function
- STDEV.S assumes that its arguments are a sample of the population. If your data represents the entire population, then compute the standard deviation using STDEV.P.
- The standard deviation is calculated using the “n-1” method.
- Arguments can either be numbers or names, arrays, or references that contain numbers.
- Logical values and text representations of numbers that you type directly into the list of arguments are counted.
- If an argument is an array or reference, only numbers in that array or reference are counted. Empty cells, logical values, text, or error values in the array or reference are ignored.
- Arguments that are error values or text that cannot be translated into numbers cause errors.
- If you want to include logical values and text representations of numbers in a reference as part of the calculation, use the STDEVA function.
- STDEV.S uses the following formula:where x is the sample mean AVERAGE(number1,number2,…) and n is the sample size.
Example of STDEV.S function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=STDEV.S(A2:A11)||Standard deviation of breaking strength.||27.46391572|