What is IMSUM function in Excel?
IMSUM function is one of Engineering functions in Microsoft Excel that returns the sum of two or more complex numbers in x + yi or x + yj text format.
Syntax of IMSUM function
IMSUM(inumber1, [inumber2], …)
The IMSUM function syntax has the following arguments:
- Inumber1, [inumber2], … Inumber1 is required, subsequent numbers are not. 1 to 255 complex numbers to add.
IMSUM formula explanation
- Use COMPLEX to convert real and imaginary coefficients into a complex number.
- The sum of two complex numbers is:
Example of IMSUM function
Steps to follow:
1. Open a new Excel worksheet.
2. Copy data in the following table below and paste it in cell A1
Note: For formulas to show results, select them, press F2 key on your keyboard and then press Enter.
You can adjust the column widths to see all the data, if need be.
|=IMSUM(“3+4i”,”5-3i”)||Sum of two complex numbers||8+i|